The Roadmap View is one of many product improvements to come out of our hackathon in December (stay tuned for more).
The new view gives you a way to visualize components along 2 axes without displaying references between components. This layout is, as the name suggests, perfect for building a roadmap, but we’re excited to see what else our users find it useful for.
The view’s in beta, but available for all users to use now (please give feedback!).
Building a roadmap
The view's rows and columns are configurable in different ways:
- Columns: select list field
- Select a field of type List using the dropdown at the top-left of the view.
- The order of the columns will follow the order of the list field's options and can not be modified.
- The selected field is remembered until you change it, and is empty by default.
- Rows: parent, or any field
- The default behavior for rows is to group components by their parent.
- You can group rows by any field's value by applying a Group Perspective for that field.
Here's a look at the workspace model for the marketing roadmap above:
Since blog posts often get rescheduled, I wanted to be able to quickly drag & drop them under new "Target Month" components, rather than editing a field value.
Each component type has a List field called "Campaign" that determines which column it shows up in.
Toggling component types
The legend at the top of Roadmap View gives you the ability to quickly toggle component types on or off:
Sharing your roadmaps
In addition to exporting your roadmaps as image files, you can also add them as slides in presentations. When viewed in a presentation, the legend toggles are useable, and clicking on a component displays its description.
If your team is collaborating on a workspace in Ardoq, remember that as the workspace administrator, you can define the default visualization and Perspective that all users see when they open it (in the "Edit workspace properties" menu).
Setting these defaults gives you control over users' first impression of the workspace and makes sure everyone starts on the same page.
Try the beta now
The Roadmap View is available to add to your workspaces now, just select it in the "Manage Views" dialog, accessible from the "More" dropdown:
Your feedback will help us continue to improve this view, so please get in touch and let us know what you think.